Volume 7 Num. 1 - April 2007
Habilidades Sociales y Apoyo Social en Esquizofrenia [Social Skills and Social Support in Schizophrenia]
Volume 7 Num. 1 - April 2007 - Pages 61-71
Rosa Jim?nez Garc?a-B?veda, Antonio J. V?zquez Morej?n and Raquel V?zquez Morej?n Jim?nez
Although both constructs of Social Skill and Social Support are known for their significance in the field of schizophrenia, the relationship between the two has hardly been explored. The available research is generally limited to the structural dimension of Social Support and it tends to be based on small, heterogenous samples. This study tries to explore the relationship between Social Skill and structural and functional Social Support variables using 95 outpatients diagnosed with schizophrenia, according to RDC criteria, who attended a Community Mental Health Center. Eighteen of these individuals are women, and the mean age of the sample is 29,2 years old. Social Skill here is assessed by the Simulated Social Interaction Test, and the Mannheim Interview on Social Support is used to assess the Social Support. The results show weak, though significant correlation between Social Skill and structural and functional dimensions of ?non-familial? Social Support: Network Size (r= .29, p< 0.01), Frecuecy of Contact (r= .24, p< 0.05), Multiplexity (r= .24, p< 0.05), Psychological Everyday Support (r= .29, p<0.01), Psychological Crisis Support (r= .30 < 0.01) and Instrumental Crisis Support (r= .21, p< 0.05). With the exception of Psychological Crisis Support, Social Skills does not correlate with ?familial? Social Support. The results show that the relationship between both constructs depends on the source of Social Support and it suggest that Social Skill is mainly associated with the ?non-familial? social support.
Social Support, Social Skill, Social Functioning, Schizophrenia.
More articles in this volume
- [1-12] Social Perception Training in Schizophrenia: A Pilot Study [Entrenamiento en Percepci?n Social en la Esquizofrenia: un Estudio Piloto]
- [13-26] Variables Predictoras de los Resultados de un Programa de Prevenci?n Secundaria de la Depresi?n [Outcome Predictors in a Depression Secondary Prevention Program]
- [27-40] Effects of Hypnotic Induction and Hypnotic Depth on Phonemic Fluency: A Test of the Frontal Inhibition [Efecto de la Inducci?n y Profundizaci?n Hipn?tica en la Fluidez Fon?mica: Una Evaluaci?n de la Teor?a de la Inhibici?n Frontal de la Hipnosis]
- [41-60] Evaluaci?n de Actitudes Sexuales Machistas en Universitarios: Primeros Datos Psicom?tricos de las Versiones Espa?olas de la Double Standard Scale (DSS) y de la Rape Supportive Attitude Scale (RSAS) [Evaluating Sexist Attitudes with University Students: First Psychometric Data of Spanish Versions of the Double Standard Scale (DSS) and the Rape Supportive Attitude Scale (RSAS)]
- [73-117] An?lisis de la Movilidad del Alumnado en los Estudios Universitarios de Psicolog?a en Espa?a [An Analysis of the Student Movility in University Degrees of Psychology in Spain]