Volume 19 Num. 2 - June 2019
Measuring the attitudes from Spanish and Catalan people toward Spanish and Catalan Identity with the Implicit Relational Assessment Procedure
Volume 19 Num. 2 - June 2019 - Pages 191-202
Eduardo M Blasco Delgado , Aurembiaix Llobera Cascalló , L Jorge Ruiz Sánchez , Jorge Villarroel Carrasco
Volume 19, 2, 2019. To be published June 1st 2019
This study analyses the validity of the Implicit Relational Assessment Procedure (IRAP) as an implicit measure on in-group and out-group bias in Spanish participants from Catalonian (n= 17) and from the Rest of Spain (n= 16). The IRAP required to respond relationally in alternating trial-blocks. In the pro-Catalan block, participants had to respond as if the word Catalan, with the Catalonian flag behind it, were related with positive attributes (e.g. polite) and the word Spanish, with the Spanish flag behind it, were related with negative attributes (e.g. rude). In contrast, in the pro-Spanish block participants had to respond as if the word Spanish, with the Spanish flag behind it, were related with positive attributes (e.g. innovative) and the word Catalan, with the Catalonian flag behind it, were related with negatives attributes (e.g. opportunist). Participants also completed a demographic questionnaire and an explicit measure with stimuli analogous to the IRAP ones. The results showed more a favourable bias toward the ingroup in both groups, but this favourable bias is more pronounced in the Catalan Group. These results highlight the validity of the IRAP to measure intergroup biases.
How to cite this paper: Blasco-Delgado E, Llobera-Cascalló A, Ruiz-Sánchez LJ, & Villarroel-Carrasco J (2019). Measuring the attitudes from Spanish and Catalan people toward Spanish and Catalan Identity with the Implicit Relational Assessment Procedure. International Journal of Psychology & Psychological Therapy, 19, 2, 191-202.
THIS PAPER WILL BE AVAILABLE IN OPEN ACCESS on June 1st, 2019
social identity, intergroup bias, Implicit Relational Assessment Procedure.
More articles in this volume
- [131-140] Interpersonal Closeness and Conflict in Interbehavioral Perspective
- [163-172] Effective Psychotherapeutic Approaches to Treatment for Ethnic Minorities
- [203-215] Emerging Adulthood and Parent-Child Communication: A validation study with Perception Scale of Parenting Communication
- [217-227] Peculiarities of the motivating needs sphere of TV viewers with different television preferences
- [239-249] The Affective Gallery: A Naturalistic Exploration of the Relationship Between Attentional Bias and Depressive Symptoms