Volume 11 Num. 3 - October 2011
The validation of the Body Image Acceptance and Action Questionnaire: Exploring the moderator effect of acceptance on disordered eating
Volume 11 Num. 3 - October 2011 - Pages 327-345
Cláudia Ferreira , José Pinto-Gouveia , Cristiana Duarte
The Body Image-Acceptance and Action Questionnaire measures cognitive flexibility and acceptance relatively to body image. This paper presents the factorial structure and psychometric properties of the Portuguese version of the Questionnaire in a sample from the general population (n= 679). This version maintains a one-factor structure, similar to the original version of the instrument, which accounts for 63.36% of the variance. It presents high internal consistency (.95), test-retest reliability, and correlates (contrastingly) with self-compassion, body image dissatisfaction, eating disorders symptomatology, social comparison, and depression, anxiety, and stress. The Questionnaire discriminates between a clinical sample with a diagnosed eating disorder (n= 46) and a comparable general population sample (n= 51). Results show that body image acceptance is a significant predictor of eating pathology, and it seems able to lessen the impact of body image dissatisfaction on the engagement on pathological restrictive behaviours and thinness seeking.
body image flexibility, acceptance, eating disorders, moderator effect
More articles in this volume
- [347-358] Differential Analysis of Psychotherapy Outcome and Process: Correlates of Initial Disturbance (Anxiety vs. Depression)
- [359-375] Psychometric properties of the questionnaire Discriminatory Behavior towards Old Age and Aging (CONDUC-ENV): Analysis of the ageist attitudes behavioral component in elderly population.
- [377-388] Exploring Screen Presentations in the Implicit Relational Assessment Procedure (IRAP)
- [389-400] Is temperament activity-specific? Validation of the Structure of Temperament Questionnaire-Compact (STQ-77)
- [401-412] Academic Achievement and Antisocial Behavior in Public Secondary Education Students.
- [413-423] Overgeneral Memory Retrieval and Ineffective Problem-Solving in Depressed Patients with Suicidal Ideation: Implications for Therapy
- [425-440] Effect of type of instruction on verbal report and performance in children and adults.
-  Social interaction and conditional self-discrimination under effects of methylphenidate in norvegicus rats.
- [455-464] Report on the 2009 & 2010 Impact Factor of IJP&PT